Delicious pickled and served with a glass of cold sake.
Celebrated as much for its crisp and tender texture as for its mild, delicate flavour, this large white radish may be grated fresh or pickled, while cooking will reveal a smooth sweetness.
Daikon boast many nutritional benefits, including anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral and diuretic properties. They also contains digestive enzymes that help the body process proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and if that wasn’t enough the edible leaves contain higher concentrations of vitamin C than oranges. Not bad for such a plain looking vegetable.
The word “Daikon” literally means “big root”. You might also hear these referred to as “Mooli”.
- Sow outside from mid-June in partial or full sun
- Normal, loose garden soil is preferable to high-nutrient mixes
- Sow 5cm apart, in rows that are 25cm apart
- Thin to 10cm once shoots appear
- Water regularly
- Harvest 21 days from sowing up until late September
- Eat fresh or trim leaves to store
- 160 x 110 x 2mm
- Includes 50 seeds approx
- Due to phytosanitary regulations, we regret these are only available for sale in the U.K
If you have any questions about this item, please click here to contact us.
Rouge Shop UK features one of the best collections of Chinese furniture imports, Chinese homewares and Asian ceramics in the city of London. Our range includes direct imports from Chinese ceramic artists, oriental vases and Japanese ceramics.