Incredibly useful weeding and planting trowel.
Japanese trowel, all-round weeder, bulb-planter supreme and general subterranean rummager… the carbon steel blade runs right into the handle, so it’s tough and strong, but not invincible. Brilliant for planting bulbs, weeding and all sorts of garden stuff - but whatever you do don’t take it as carry on luggage. Comes with a tough canvas sheath.
Although considerably stronger than a regular trowel, the mighty hori hori is not completely invincible. Don’t stick it in to heavy soil and yank back hard…it’s much more efficient used in an in-out action.
Most of our sharp tools are made from carbon steel - this means they will, through regular use, stain (and eventually rust) and gradually lose their edge. Caring for them involves three things…
1. Correct Use:
- Japanese steel is hard and sharp, and can be more brittle than some people are used to - it will chip if abused
- Do not cut wire, metal, stone, plastic or any other hard material (even bamboo fibres and some very hard woods, especially knots and burrs, can damage steel edges)
- Do not twist or apply uneven pressure
- Cut diagonally across branches (not straight across) so you cut along the fibres
- Pay attention to our maximum cut dimensions, and don’t overdo it (shears are not loppers)
- Use the base of the blades, not the tips, for heavier cuts
2. Keeping Them Clean:
- Remove leaf resin, rust and gunk with a Crean Mate and water
- Dry, wipe over with Camellia oil and store in a dry place
3. Keeping Them Sharp:
New tools won’t need sharpening for some time, but after a while you’ll notice them gradually lose their edge, especially if you’re box clipping (you need REALLY sharp blades to get a good finish with box). Use the Niwaki Sharpening Stones for best results (#1000 grit is best for general sharpening).
- Sharpen Secateurs every couple of weeks
- Sharpen Shears and Topiary Clippers EVERY TIME you use them - the difference is amazing
- Carbon Steel
- Beech handles
- 166mm blades
- Made in Japan
- 281 x 75mm
- 16oz Canvas
- Made in China
If you have any questions about this item, please click here to contact us.
Rouge Shop UK features one of the best collections of Chinese furniture imports, Chinese homewares and Asian ceramics in the city of London. Our range includes direct imports from Chinese ceramic artists, oriental vases and Japanese ceramics.